• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Yield with 3” of rain or less?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s Canola, looks pretty good for this year. How anything survived is a miracle. Good farmrs out there👍✅

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tone View Post
      This year only. Last year we were drowned out and averaged out to 12bu.
      12 isn’t bad, after four years of drought you don’t get anything, 0, like a big goose egg.

Comment

The pic is of Dekalb 99sc.
        I know most of you hate Dekalb but this new one has potential.
        4.5 inches of rain on it..

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
          12 isn’t bad, after four years of drought you don’t get anything, 0, like a big goose egg.
          Did you put the same inputs in to get that 0 we did to save the 12? How about the battle to get it off?

Net result is crop insurance, one cost more to get.
          Last edited by Dr Tone; Aug 24, 2021, 20:21.

Comment

Did you put the same inputs in to get that 0 we did to save the 12? How about the battle to get it off?

Net result is crop insurance, one cost more to get.
            It’s pretty hard to answer about the inputs because I don’t know what your inputs are.

Nobody’s grown 20 or 30 bushel crops on 3 inches of rain, sounds like your crop probably used 15 or 20 inches of moisture, pretty soon the water table drops and all you have is dust, dust doesn’t grow anything, even the earthworms are so far down they’ve forgot which way is up.

Anyway I was a half crop and half cow guy but it’s pretty much all cows around here, most of my land is better suited for cows.

Comment

Partners I’ve never seen a crop that looks that good down south let alone on a dry year, I’ve never been up north much and never in the summer, I’ll need a good road trip someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                The pic is of Dekalb 99sc.
                I know most of you hate Dekalb but this new one has potential.
                4.5 inches of rain on it..
                What was the seed date on that? Looks later and maybe ducked some of the heat dome during flowering especially that first 2 weeks in july.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  What was the seed date on that? Looks later and maybe ducked some of the heat dome during flowering especially that first 2 weeks in july.
                  May 16th..seed date..
                  Bloomed approx 24 days.
                  Longer than 7565..pv760..and brevant 3158..

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
                    It’s pretty hard to answer about the inputs because I don’t know what your inputs are.

Nobody’s grown 20 or 30 bushel crops on 3 inches of rain, sounds like your crop probably used 15 or 20 inches of moisture, pretty soon the water table drops and all you have is dust, dust doesn’t grow anything, even the earthworms are so far down they’ve forgot which way is up.

Anyway I was a half crop and half cow guy but it’s pretty much all cows around here, most of my land is better suited for cows.
                    I’m talking chemical and application as weed control becomes a real problem when it’s too wet and it’s just a pain fighting in the mud for that 12 bu and dealing with the mess after.

I don’t doubt we used that much moisture but we have heavier land thus the flooding issues. We always get 6-10ft of snow through winter and it stays and pools for an extended period in spring which helps quite a bit with a recharge so I’m not too concerned with usage this year.

Comment

I’m talking chemical and application as weed control becomes a real problem when it’s too wet and it’s just a pain fighting in the mud for that 12 bu and dealing with the mess after.

I don’t doubt we used that much moisture but we have heavier land thus the flooding issues. We always get 6-10ft of snow through winter and it stays and pools for an extended period in spring which helps quite a bit with a recharge so I’m not too concerned with usage this year.
                      Most of us guys who have seen 0 to 15% of normal yields live in an area that has probably never lost a crop from fighting excess rain all year. I would think that excess rain resulting in a crop disaster would be much, much worse that a severe drought, unless you are a cattle/sheep guy. Usually grass around for feed when its wet.

Any disaster that hurts ones financials and adds stress is a problem.

Comment

People who have lived through the droughts and know how helpless you feel when the crop can’t make anything. That desperate longing for clouds, heavy black dumpers and then you hear guys cursing the rain because they are getting flooded out. . Next year surely will be better than this dry oven. 👍

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...